Volunteers are at the heart of the great work that the Connecticut Forest & Park Association (CFPA) accomplishes every year. In the 2017 Volunteer Year, CFPA volunteers donated over 27,000 hours (valued at over $800,000 of in-kind work) through many, many activities supporting CFPA’s conservation mission. Here is a list of a few of these accomplishments:
- There were 25 trail work parties with help from over 190 volunteers.
- CFPA offered 8 opportunities for training to our volunteers and over 125 volunteers attended.
- The Garden Gang had a busy spring and summer establishing and maintaining a meadow along our entranceway.
- The Ramble Guides held 31 Rambles that connected over 400 participants to the trails, walking locations, and open spaces our state has to offer.
- 13 Land Stewards monitored the over 2,100 acres of open space and forested land which CFPA protects. This work ensures our properties are appropriately utilized and also helps to strengthen CFPA's name in the community.
- And sooo much more....
- Rick Huntley – received the "Golden Gloves" for his service to the trails program
- Juan Sanchez Jr. – honored for his incredible work supporting the Goodwin Conservation Center and the education program as well as for his work establishing the Master Naturalist program
- Bill Flood – honored for the time and energy he has given towards CFPA outreach and his support of the CFPA twitter page
- Eric Lukingbeal – honored for his work on the CFPA Board as President
- Alexandra Lowry – honored for her commitment to getting people outside and connected to the land with her new and unique programs.
2017 Volunteer Hours Reported:
Land Conservation and Advocacy: 166.51 hours
Education: 713.72 hours
Trails & Trails Day: 21,143.51 hours
Special Events and Association Support: 2,061.27 hours
Goodwin Conservation Center Support: 3,229.55 hours
Total Volunteer Hours Reported: 27,314.86 hours
Volunteer Time in CT is valued at $29.29/hour
The financial value for the time reported in the 2017 volunteer year (Sept 1, 2016 to Aug 31, 2017) $800,052.25