At the Connecticut Forest & Park Association (CFPA) we take the maintenance and construction of sustainable trails seriously. Whether you are an appointed CFPA Trail Manager, a land trust volunteer, or a town manager, the following resources will help expand your trail skill set and acquaint you with the best practices and resources in the field.
Experienced volunteer leaders and staff offer two annual hands-on trail workshops in the spring and fall that are open to the public. Additionally, we lead a one-day indoor training session every winter. There are also regular workparties throughout the year and these are a great way to get involved, learn new skills, and meet fellow trail volunteers. Please see our Trails Calendar for upcoming events.
CFPA Trail Maintainer Packet (short version)
Additional Trail Maintenance & Management Resources
- American Trails
- Professional Trail Builders Association
- National Park Service Recreation Trails and Conservation Assistance Program
- Connecticut’s Recreational Trails Program
- USDA Trail Construction & Maintenance Notebook
- SCA’s Lightly on the Land
- AMC’s Complete Trail Guide to Trail Building and Maintenance
- Appalachian Trail Design, Construction, & Maintenance
- USFS Wetland Trail Design & Construction
- The Game of Logging